Road Trip to Orioles Spring Training in Sarasota, FL! (Post here if you are going to ST)

Living_Legend

A friend of mine and I are doing it! Making the trip to spring training. He has a Prius that gets 50mpg. And we plan to park and walk everywhere when we get there cause we are some drinkers. Any suggestions on places to hang check out or things to do are welcomed!

Thursday March 6th

-Leave Maryland by 3:30p.m. after work

-drive 9.5 hours till Richmond Hill, GA area

-Sleep in car/ or camp

Friday March 7th

-Leave for Ed Smith Stadium at 6a.m.

-Arrive at stadium by 12pm.

-1 pm Orioles vs. Phillies

-4 pm Head to to hotel to check in

-Hotel (American Best Value Inn)

-Go out

Saturday March 8th

-10am - walk towards Ed Smith and get lunch

-1pm Orioles vs Red Sox

-4pm go out

Sunday March 9th.

-1pm Orioles vs Pirates

-4pm go out

Monday, March 10th

-Check out of Hotel at 7am

-Drive Home (15h) (Home around 10pm)

COST: Hotel $320, Gas $140 = $460 ($230 each)

Mike: Hotel

Gary: Gas +$90

Details

Ed Smith Stadium (2.3m walk or 3.3m drive from hotel)

HOTEL (starting point)

Torwards Stadium

Main Bar Sandwich Shop (0.7m) 10-4 Lunch

Evie's Tavern (0.6) Open till 2:30am. $2 happy hour

Towards Stadium Left

O'Leary's Tiki Bar and Grill (1m) Bands at 5, open till 11

Darwin's on 4th (1.4m) fancy brewery, open till 12

Sarasota Vineyard (1.2m) wine, open till 12

Towards Stadium Right

Shamrock Pub (0.9m) irish pub, open till 2

South of Hotel

Five O'Clock Club (0.8m) live music at 10, open till 2

Libby's Cafe & Bar (1.1m) fancy bar

Gecko's Grill & Pub (0.9m) sports bar, late night happy hour

Square 1 Burgers & Bar (0.7m) burgers beer, till 12

*Hotel has pool, free WiFi, fridge in room, free breakfast

*948 Beach Road, Siesta Key, FL Best Public Beach 6-7 miles from hotel

*CHEETAH LOUNGE 2 miles north of Ed Smith Stadium (Strip Club)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are interested in baseball history, there is a historical site in Sarasota worth checking out - Payne Park - which is located at the southeast corner of Adams Lane and South Washington Boulevard. Now primarily a tennis center, It was the Spring Training home of John McGraw's Giants and Tony LaRussa's White Sox, as well as the Red Sox spring training home. See http://deadballbaseball.com/?p=4583 for more info about the history Payne Park and what is there today.

A friend of mine and I are doing it! Making the trip to spring training. He has a Prius that gets 50mpg. And we plan to park and walk everywhere when we get there cause we are some drinkers. Any suggestions on places to hang check out or things to do are welcomed!

Thursday March 6th

-Leave Maryland by 3:30p.m. after work

-drive 9.5 hours till Richmond Hill, GA area

-Sleep in car/ or camp

Friday March 7th

-Leave for Ed Smith Stadium at 6a.m.

-Arrive at stadium by 12pm.

-1 pm Orioles vs. Phillies

-4 pm Head to to hotel to check in

-Hotel (American Best Value Inn)

-Go out

Saturday March 8th

-1pm Orioles vs Red Sox

-4pm go out

Sunday March 9th.

-1pm Orioles vs Pirates

-4pm go out

Monday, March 10th

-Check out of Hotel at 7am

-Drive Home (15h) (Home around 10pm)

COST: Hotel $320, Gas $140 = $460 ($230 each)

Mike: Hotel

Gary: Gas +$90

Details

Ed Smith Stadium (2.3m walk or 3.3m drive from hotel)

HOTEL (starting point)

Torwards Stadium

Main Bar Sandwich Shop (0.7m) 10-4 Lunch

Evie's Tavern (0.6) Open till 2:30am. $2 happy hour

Towards Stadium Left

O'Leary's Tiki Bar and Grill (1m) Bands at 5, open till 11

Darwin's on 4th (1.4m) fancy brewery, open till 12

Sarasota Vineyard (1.2m) wine, open till 12

Towards Stadium Right

Shamrock Pub (0.9m) irish pub, open till 2

South of Hotel

Five O'Clock Club (0.8m) live music at 10, open till 2

Libby's Cafe & Bar (1.1m) fancy bar

Gecko's Grill & Pub (0.9m) sports bar, late night happy hour

Square 1 Burgers & Bar (0.7m) burgers beer, till 12

*Hotel has pool, free WiFi, fridge in room, free breakfast

*948 Beach Road, Siesta Key, FL Best Public Beach 6-7 miles from hotel

*CHEETAH LOUNGE 2 miles north of Ed Smith Stadium (Strip Club)

In the immortal words of OFFNY. "You Bastard!" :D

Seriously, do have lots of fun, and don't forget the sunscreen. :)

You have to go to Zacchini Bar and Grill right down the street from Ed Smith stadium. If you bring in your ticket stub you get a free beer. They have terrific wings and pulled pork BBQ.

I know you plan to walk to Ed Smith for the games but you may want to consider a drive so you can tailgate in the parking lot. From what I remember it's about 10bucks to park and you can eat and drink before entering the stadium.

You have to go to Zacchini Bar and Grill right down the street from Ed Smith stadium. If you bring in your ticket stub you get a free beer. They have terrific wings and pulled pork BBQ.

I know you plan to walk to Ed Smith for the games but you may want to consider a drive so you can tailgate in the parking lot. From what I remember it's about 10bucks to park and you can eat and drink before entering the stadium.

This is the information I like to hear. Thanks!

We weren't able to fit our cornhole boards in the car for the trip, but we spent about an hour or so drinking beer and eating sandwiches/snacks in the parking lot before the games. It's a good way to save a few bucks and not get greased down at a local pub before the game.

I'm going down that same weekend. Taking my 17 year old son. Flying into Tampa Friday and going to the Red Sox and Pirates games. Never been to Spring Training before. Really looking forward to it.

Wife and I flying into Tampa on that Thursday. Going to home games on Fri-Sun against Philly, Boston, and Pitt. Also hitting the road Pitt game on Monday. We've built in a comedy club, a sunset cruise, and a couple nature tours while down there. Gonna be a fun time.

As for the pre-game tailgating, maybe we should all meet as a group in the lot somewhere???? Weams...set it up! :D

Wide and I flying into Tampa on that Thursday. Going to home games on Fri-Sun against Philly, Boston, and Pitt. Also hitting the road Pitt game on Monday. We've built in a comedy club, a sunset cruise, and a couple nature tours while down there. Gonna be a fun time.

As for the pre-game tailgating, maybe we should all meet as a group in the lot somewhere???? Weams...set it up! :D

You've got my number. We will be at every game 6th through 12th. If it is warm, I'm doing a beach day or two. It sounds like OH is taking over Sarasota for a week. I bet we might find a few more OH legends in town that week as well.

Archived